Saturday, April 5, 2014

Greetings

Greetings Everyone

This is my first blog ever. I had never blogged before so I am very excited to start sharing my thoughts and receive any feedback (either positive or criticism) from you.

Just to introduce myself. My name is Vandan Sheth and I am a Chemical Engineer by education. I was born and raised in India and came to USA in 2005 when I was 22 years old to pursue my masters in ChemE. It's been wonderful 9 years. I have made many good friends ( from all nationalities), met my soul mate and learned a lot about the local culture. The land of opportunity has been a great teacher and a place that I can call my home now.

One thing that I have experienced so far is that internet has made the world small. Computer and Internet are the innovations that have traveled across the borders faster than any other innovations.I remember the days when we had to go to places called "Cyber Cafes" to access internet and pay by hours. That was in year 1997 in India and then by year 2000, many of us in India had personal computers with dial-up internet connections so we did not have to go to Cyber Cafes anymore!! But again, the high speed internet was still not affordable to have at home. When I came to USA, my parents would call me once a week over Skype from a Cyber Cafe because a dial-up internet at home was not fast enough for video chatting! But within a year or two, we had high speed internet connection at home as it became more affordable! Another example is that in year 2005, me and my friends had just started hearing about Facebook and I opened my account first time just out of curiosity and within a year most of us were on Facebook 24/7! Same thing with online shopping. I remember how skeptical I was when I heard about buying a laptop from Ebay or Amazon! The concept of buying a laptop from someone I have never seen sounded too risky. When I ordered my first laptop from Dell website, I was so worried and constantly checking my mails to make sure that no one else receives it and now I feel more comfortable shopping online than driving to a store because I get better price and user reviews.

Anyway, I have written enough in my first blog! Hopefully you will find it interesting. I am really looking forward to reading your blogs and learn about your ideas and thoughts.



No comments:

Post a Comment